Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolutions

A: New Year’s resolutions, everyone knows they are a joke. Why then are they still encouraged and discussed? Goal setting is an art. Everyone knows that a goal must be re-evaluated and assessed very so often, especially with yearlong ambitions. So when we set New Year resolutions why are they for the whole year? Why not have quarterly goals? In all reality four goals can all be the same goal but you think about more than once a year. New Years, St. Patrick’s Day of Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, and Thanks Giving. I would imagine that have four steps to a yearlong goal would make it more achievable and practical. How does anyone expect themselves to remember a goal that is set and not expected to be reached until the end of the year; that is asking for procrastination if you ask me.
As a result of this opinion I have given up on New Year’s resolutions; knowing that I am one of those infamous procrastinators. So now I am faced with the decision; knowing that if I set a goal for March I have to keep track of it more and act sooner than September. Should I instead set quarterly goals and if so what shall they be? Pondering my options it is also important to keep it reasonable and simple. For example one could set a goal that includes three or four goals within that one. But let’s be honest with ourselves; who is really going to accomplish all four goals that are disguised as one? Goals can be overwhelming, and it is better to set a goal that is just a little too easy than too hard. I don’t know about you but once I feel overwhelmed or discouraged the task at hand is half as likely to get done.

Good luck to all on your New Year’s resolutions, as for myself, I will set quarterly resolutions.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment